Mitchell C. Shelowitz
Corporate & Commercial Contracts
Venture Capital and Emerging Companies
Technology, Media & Telecommunications
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Mitchell C. Shelowitz is a business lawyer with more than 19 years of experience representing U.S. and international businesses in the full range of corporate and commercial legal matters – from corporate deals to dispute resolution. He was named as a New York Super Lawyer in 2010 for the fourth time, being recognized as one of the best business lawyers in New York City, and placing him in the top 5% of the profession.
Mitch has multi-industry experience representing clients in the venture capital, technology, telecommunications, Internet, software, healthcare, biomedical, homeland security, wine, food and restaurant, cosmetics, music, film, consumer brands, banking and insurance industries.
Mitchell Shelowitz Online
- Israel-U.S. Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice
- Pearl Cohen Zedek Latzer, LLP Announces Growth of Israel-US Commercial Litigation Practice
- Pearl Cohen Zedek Latzer - Current Law Firm
- LinkedIn Directory
- LinkedIn Profile
- Super Lawyers Profile
- Super Lawyers Firm Profile
- Google Plus
- Justia Lawyers
Areas of Experience
- Investment transactions representing investors, portfolio companies and entrepreneurs
- Complex telecommunications, technology, software, media and Internet transactions
- Food, beverage and restaurant transactions
- Complex commercial and intellectual property licensing agreements
- Corporate and intellectual property disputes and litigation
Awards & Recognition
- Mitch Shelowitz has been honored by selection in the Super Lawyers Metro New York edition for 6th time for the area of Business Law
- Mitchell Shelowitz '91 Named Super Lawyer
- Named in "New York Super Lawyers" 2010, 2009, 2007 and 2006, as one of the best business lawyers in New York City, placing Mr. Shelowitz in the top 5% of the profession.
- Recipient, Award in Recognition of Contributions to the Development and Leadership of the ACC Israel Chapter, 2004 ACCA Annual Conference
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Board of Governors, Jerusalem College of Engineering, 2009-Present
- Member, Greater New York Chamber of Commerce, 2006-Present
- Associate Member, New York State Restaurant Association, 2007- Present
- Member, Danish-American Chamber of Commerce (New York), 2008 - Present
- Director, Visionary Media Company, 2008
- President and Founder, Association of Corporate Counsel Israel (ACCI), 2000-2004
- ACC International Legal Affairs Committee, Israeli Liaison, Executive Committee, 2003-2004
- Co-Chairman and Co-Founder, Israel Chapter, New York State Bar Association, Section of International Law and Practice, International Division, 1999-Present
- Adjunct Professor, Contract Law, University of East London School of Law (Haifa, Israel Campus), 1999
Lectures, Publications & Articles
- Led Venture Capital Presentation on July 21,2011.
- Speaker, StartupAlpha.com, Dealmakers Forum: Investment Outlook 2010 - Private Equity, Wall Street & DC, New York, NY, January 20, 2010.
- Moderator, FundingPost’s Fifth Perfect Venture Conference, Venture Capital & Angel Investment Considerations for 2009 & 2010, New York, NY, November 12th, 2009.
- Speaker, SA Special Event Series, “Venture Capital Term Sheets 101: Understanding Critical Terms of Your Early Stage Venture Deal,” New York, NY, October 21, 2009
- Speaker, C-Squared Breakfast Series, Term Sheets, Letters of Intent, and Memoranda of Understanding, Williams Club, March 10, 2009
- Speaker, SA Business Briefing Breakfast Series: "Business Self-Defense 101: Hiring Sales Representatives and Consultants – How to Avoid Being Held Hostage to Unearned Commissions and Unreasonable Demands,” New York, NY, January 28, 2009.
- Moderator, FundingPost’s Fourth Perfect Venture Conference: “Negotiating Term Sheets & Exit Strategies,” New York, NY, November 4th, 2008.
- Speaker, SA Business Briefing Breakfast Series: “Business Litigation 101: Your Business Has Just Been Sued – An Essential Guide to the Critical Realities and Decisions in the First 48 Hours,” New York, NY, October 29th, 2008.
- Speaker, SA Special Event Series: “Buying and Selling Your New York City Restaurant: Your Top 10 Ingredients for Success,” The New York State Restaurant Association, New York, NY, September 17th, 2008.
- Speaker, SA Business Briefing Breakfast Series: “Deal Making 101: How to Lock in the Key Terms of Your Deal, While Retaining Flexibility - Is the Back of a Napkin Good Enough?” New York, NY, July 30th, 2008.
- Speaker, SA Business Briefing Breakfast Series: “Employer Self Defense 101: How to Prevent Employee/Consultant Theft of Company Secrets,” New York, NY, May 28th, 2008.
- Speaker, Second Annual Israeli International Franchise Conference: "Everything You Need to Know to Successfully Launch Your Israeli Brand in the U.S.," Israel Exhibition Center, Tel Aviv, Israel, October 25, 2006.
- Organizer; Moderator; and Speaker, Second Annual Israeli Wine Export Conference: "How to Sell Israeli Wine Successfully in the U.S.," Israel Exhibition Center, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 15, 2006.
- Lecturer, Corporate Lawyering: Incoterms 2000 and Revenue Recognition, University of Pennsylvania, Dickinson Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 2005
- Speaker, Effective Outsourcing for Israeli Companies, Association of Corporate Counsel Israel Power Dinner, Tel Aviv, Israel, September 2005
- Organizer and Moderator, 2005 Israeli Wine Export Conference, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 2005
- Moderator, Investing in Israel Conference, The Wall Street Transcript, New York City, June 2005
- Speaker, Successful International Sales: What Every Business Should Know About Incoterms 2000 and Revenue Recognition, CLE Program, Rochester, New York, May 2005
- Speaker, Preparing for Your Next Big Deal, Israel-America Chamber of Commerce Conference, Tel Aviv, Israel, April 2005
- Host, U.S. Israel Venture Summit, YoungStart-Up Event, New York City, March 2005
- Panelist, International Business Transactions, Minority Corporate Counsel Association Annual Event, Chicago, IL, March 2005
- Speaker, Legal Challenges in Entering the U.S. Market, BioLog Innovation Conference, Tel Aviv, Israel, November 2004
- Panelist, Successfully Doing Business Internationally, Association of Corporate Counsel America Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2004
- Speaker, What Every In-House Counsel Should Know About Protecting Intellectual Property with Non-Disclosure Agreements, Association of Corporate Counsel Europe 2002 Annual Conference, Versailles, France, June 2002
- Speaker, Florida - Israel Institute Conference on Florida-Israel Business: The Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Israel, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, June 1998
Cited in US and International Publications
- Cited, Israel's Vintners Seek to Increase Exports to U.S., Entree Magazine, V.13; N. 2, September 2006
- Cited, Globes (print and on-line; Hebrew and English), "US-based Israeli Execs Help Young Companies Reach Market," December 2005
- Cited, Daily Maily (Hebrew), "Israeli High-Tech Execs Help Israeli Companies," December 2005
- Cited, Jewish Exponent, "Drink to Life, To Israeli Wines!" December 2005
- Cited, "Israeli Wine Industry Hears 'Voices from the Market,'" Wharton Global Consulting Practicum WGCP Connect Newsletter, Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania, August 2005
- Cited, Israelwines.co.il, Israeli Wine Export Conference, various articles, July 2005
- Quoted, The Daily Deal, "Israeli VC Scene on the Rebound," February 7, 2005
- Cited, Jerusalem Post, "5764: The Year Investors Came Back," September 24, 2004
- Quoted, The Jewish Star, "Doing Business With and For Israel," September 10, 2004
- Quoted, Corporate Counsel Magazine, "The Great Rapprochement, Foreign Companies Pushed the SEC to Soften Some Sarbanes-Oxley Rules - and Half-Succeeded," April 2003, p. 72
- Cited, Globes Online, "American Corporate Counsel Association Israel to Hold Conference in Herzliya," May 25, 2003
- Cited, Maariv (Hebrew), Special Business Supplement, "Lawyers and More," May 20, 2003
- Cited, Corporate Counsel Magazine, "This Year in Israel, 'Silicon Wadi' Lawyer Gets ACCA's Nod to Set Up a Branch," March 2001, pp. 20-22
- Cited, American Lawyer, "Hearsay," March 2001, p. 20
- Cited, Law.com, "This Year in Israel," March 2001
- Author, "NDA's: How to Avoid The Perils of Overnegotiating," ACC Docket 21, no. 9, October 2003, p. 76
- Author, "On the Threshold of Change: Israel's Television Broadcasting Industry," Israel High-Tech Investor Magazine, Summer 1999, p. 54
- Author, "Israel's Venture Capital Boom," The Charlotte Jewish News, March 1999
- Author, "Israeli Business and the Year 2000 Bug," San Diego Jewish Times, March 18, 1999
- Author, "1998: An Exciting Year for Israeli Business," Las Vegas Jewish Reporter, December 25, 1998
- Author, "Israel's Telecommunications Revolution," Palm Beach Jewish Times, November 6, 1998
- Author, "The Attorney-Client Privilege in a High-Tech World: Are Wireless Conversations with Your Attorney Protected from Disclosure?" Long Island Magazine, July/August 1997
- Author, "Clients Have No Reasonable Expectation of Privacy in Wireless Conversations with Their Attorneys," The Daily Record, June 25, 1997
- Author, "Attorney-Client Privilege and Wireless Communications," New York Law Journal, February 3, 1997
- Author, "FTC Cracks Down on Coercive Pricing and Distribution Policies," Long Island Business News, July 29, 1996
- Author, "Expanding the European Workplace," Legal Times, International Law Supplement, April 12, 1993
- Co-Author (with Mr. Hubert Andre-Dumont), "The Amendment of Directive 71/305 and the Coordination of Procedures for the Award of Public Works Contracts in the Countries of the European Community," Vol. 7 International Construction Law Review 5 (London), 1990
- J.D., Touro Law Center
- B.A., Biology and Business, State University of New York at Albany
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Copyright 2011 Mitchell Shelowitz